Welcome to our monthly blog feature, Book Clubbin’!
Sometimes life can get so hectic that you’re lucky if you find time to grab a shower let alone read your book club book in time. If your New Years’ resolution is to read more but you can’t find the time, audiobooks are the answer! So, press play on this month’s pick during your commute, while you’re cooking dinner, or before bed!
January’s pick is Such a Fun Age by Kiley Reid, narrated by Nicole Lewis. This new release has drummed up a lot of buzz in anticipation of its release, that’s for sure! Not only has it become an instant bestseller, but it is also Reese Witherspoon’s January pick for her Hello Sunshine book club. Such a Fun Age tackles the issues of race and privilege through the perspectives of the babysitter, Emira, and her employer, Alix Chamberlain.
Don’t miss this striking debut novel. Check out our discussion questions below, but beware, spoilers ahead.
So take a peek at our questions, and as always, remember there MAY be some spoilers in here!
—————MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!————
1) Such a Fun Age is told from the perspectives of Alix and Emira. How did these different narrators affect your reading/listening experience?
2) Why didn’t Emira want to share the video from the grocery store?
3) Why do you think Alix is so set on becoming close friends with Emira? Is this linked to guilt she holds from the past?
4) What did you think of Kelley when he was introduced? Were you suspicious of his intentions?
5) After discovering Emira and Alix are linked by someone unexpected, did it change your opinion of either character?
6) Do you think that what happened in high school affected Alix and Kelley differently? Did it leave a lasting impression that carried over to the rest of their lives?
7) How did the events that unfolded in Such a Fun Age ultimately lead to Emira finding her path into a career?
8) How do you think the title, Such a Fun Age, relates to the story?
9) This novel touches on important topics such as: race, classic, identity…etc. Did you notice any other prevalent themes? Did the exploration of any of these themes change your opinions at all?
10) Were you satisfied with how the novel ended? Were you hoping for a different resolution?
New to Audiobooks.com? Get your first book free, PLUS a bonus book from our VIP selection when you sign up for our one-month free trial. Digital audiobooks make audible stories come to life when you’re commuting, working out, cleaning, cooking, and more! Listening is easy with our top-rated free audiobook apps for iOS and Android, which let you download & listen to bestselling audiobooks on the go, wherever you are. Click here to get your free audiobooks!