Our Book Clubbin’ blog feature has returned and this time we’re diving into a pulse-pounding new thriller from the bestselling author of You Don’t Know Me. Learn all about this gripping listen in the special shoutout video below from author Sara Foster!
Keep reading for our discussion questions. Beware— SPOILERS ahead.
1) Which character in The Hush did you relate to the most and why?
2) How do the female characters fit into your ideas and definitions of feminism?
3) The author envisages a world just a few steps away from our own. How do you feel about the world she portrays? How does or doesn’t it intersect with your own ideas about where the world might be in five or ten years? Were there any real-life parallels in this near-future world that stood out to you?
4) What do you think of Emma and Lainey’s relationship? How does it compare to your idea of a typical mother-daughter relationship?
5) Discuss the attitudes of those who work in Whitehaven Hospital, the way the expectant mothers are treated, and the different ways the nurses try to support the mothers. Where do your sympathies lie?
6) The three generations of women who are central to the story — Geraldine, Emma, and Lainey — are all mothers and daughters. How do you think their experience of being a daughter has shaped (or will shape) their ideas of motherhood?
7) Novels about women’s disparate identities and experiences are very popular right now. Discuss how The Hush compares and contrasts to other books that explore similar themes.
8) In the scenes at Horcombe House the author has included lots of fairytale symbolism. Did you spot any, and why do you think the author chose to put them here?
9) “The system that supports you can also be used to control you,” says Geraldine to Emma as they work to get Lainey back. What do you think of Geraldine’s worldview as presented in the novel? How do you think it compares to Emma and Lainey’s ideas about the world?
10) What do you imagine happens after the endpoint of the novel? How did it leave you feeling about the future for this group of women?
Looking for Book Recommendations?
• Looking to share your love of books? Our handy Book Clubbin’ questions make it super easy to start a book club. Or, Netflix n’ buddy-read with this year’s book-to-screen adaptations (just be prepared for the perennial debate: is the book better than the movie/show?).
• If you’re looking for something extra, we’ve got author and narrator interviews to give you a gleam inside their worlds.
New to Audiobooks.com? Get your first book free, PLUS a bonus book from our VIP selection when you sign up for our one-month free trial. Digital audiobooks make audible stories come to life when you’re commuting, working out, cleaning, cooking, and more! Listening is easy with our top-rated free audiobook apps for iOS and Android, which let you download & listen to bestselling audiobooks on the go, wherever you are. Click here to get your free audiobooks!